What is Jupeb?
It is the acronym for Joint Universities
Preliminary Examinations Board, It is an Approved, Proven &
Certified Advanced level programme moderated by the University Of Lagos
and having the coordinating body in various tertiary institutions and
different study centres nationwide. The programme is specifically
designed to provide an opportunity for candidates who cannot gain
admission to regular degree programmes in Nigerian Universities for one
reason or the other, as the programme only requires candidates O’level
results, Also awaiting result candidates can enrol and this time around
into 200 level
• JUPEB IS Approved : By the Federal Government as a platform for securing admission into a higher institution in the country and abroad.
• JUPEB IS Proven : Yearly, about 20,000 applicants put in for the programme in which more than 70% fraction successfully secure admission with it into 200 level to their preferred institution & course.
• JUPEB IS Certified : By Nigeria University Commission (NUC) as an Advanced level examination that qualifies students into 200 level
How Jupeb Works
JUPEB candidates are required to select any THREE (3) A/L JUPEB Subject
Combination identified with their preferred course of study in the
university be it Science, Art or Social Science Course. Candidates would
then be lectured for the stipulated period at their respective Study
Centre and thereafter sit for the final examination. On completion of
the programme, successful candidates accordingly utilise their JUPEB
certificate to secure admission into 200level in any Nigerian tertiary
JUPEB LEGIBILITY : JUPEB certificate is presently recognised and accepted in virtually every Nigerian universities be it federal, state and all private Universities. Thus, prospective candidates can check (item 2.2) of JAMB BROCHURE to confirm JUPEB legibility.
Aims and Objectives of Jupeb
The aim of JUPEB is to see students have an alternative to JAMB in gaining admission into Nigerian universities. And with JUPEB, you gain admission into 200 level of any course. Yes, you heard us right into any course
• To source superior students for the University’s degree programmes and reduce the high rate of dropouts from the University.
• To ensure adequate preparation of eligible secondary school graduates for University work.
• To enhance analytical and independent learning abilities and promote the intellectual development as well as oral and written skills of students.
The duration of the Programme of courses for the Board’s Examination is a minimum of one academic session of two semesters. Which are 6 – 9 months in total
be eligible to take examinations leading to the award of JUPEB’s Direct
Entry Certificates, the candidate must have been exposed to an
intensive scheme of academic work relevant to his/her proposed
• Each candidate must register, sit for Examinations and satisfy the Board of three subjects and a General Studies course relevant to the proposed course in any of the universities.
• Each subject is to be broken into four courses to be taken, two per semester, by the candidate. The results in all the courses are to be merged at the end of the second semester to obtain the candidate’s grade in that particular subject.
• Each candidate is expected to take twelve (12) courses, six per semester, and a General Studies course.
• The general Studies for courses in each University Faculty will be based on relevant General courses suggested for that Faculty by each university.
• The students upon completion of the programme will be issued certificates based on their level of performance which bear Letter Grades of A, B, C, D,E or F in each of the three subjects and General Studies Paper. For admission into each university, each candidate, in addition to passing the prescribed JUPEB examinations for issuing the Direct Entry Certificates, must satisfy all other conditions as prescribed by his/her university of choice.
How Much Does Jupeb Cost
The cost of purchasing the JUPEB forms differs across Jupeb Affiliated Universities and school but the range is N240,000 to #450,000 (Click to view the school fee for EGT Preversity here). You can register with us at a lesser fee.
How is Jupeb Examination Set and Graded?
A mock exam that forms 30% of the total score in each subject is conducted by the institution and forwarded to the board. The Board’s exams take the remaining 70%. The results issued by the JUPEB are graded like Cambridge A/Level results: A (5 points), B (4 points),C (3 points), D (2 points), E (1 point), F (0 point).
Three subjects are offered by each candidate. The combination of the grades forms the total point that is used as a cut-off for the course applied for in a particular institution.
For example, OAU can say 13 points is the cut-off for Medicine and Surgery. That means they can only admit candidates with either AAA (15 pts), AAB (14 pts), AAC (13 pts) or ABB (13 pts).
FOR INQUIRIES, CALL 08034751938